Thursday, May 10, 2018

Music and Education

Music… A Family Affair, the food to our soul, a constant reminder of our awakening joy….


Giancarlo has been blessed with a musical ear since early age. I always noticed his appreciation for classical music, and how it soothed him and made him happy. He loved his lullabies, and learned to complete songs that where motivational, that inspired me, that I sang to him while jogging with him when he was a little younger than a year old. 


Certainly Manuel and I have no music degrees but we both share a passion for songs.  Manuel did get some training into music during his college years singing in a choir.  In our first years of marriage, Manuel learned some mariachi and other Spanish songs to bring some memories of Mexico, when I was a nostalgic or home sick.

Manuel’s love for music can be heard on his voice. I used to cry with his unique interpretations of an opera, a classic choir song, or a passionate mariachi song. I really think Manuel missed following his call as a musician, but still like the idea that he did not give it all up. For the past 15 years we have shared together besides being a Chiropractor and a tutor He always has had a song or two to play when he comes home from a busy office day and I love that!.

Manuel beautiful voice and his ability to play keyboard have been gifts that Giancarlo has embraced since he was in my belly. When I was pregnant with GC, I used to go to Manuel’s once a week rehearsal with a choir he joined at that moment. 

I remember GC kicking and almost dancing in my womb, I knew he was happy to hear the music. For me, the choir members interpretations touched always deep into my heart.  

Gc and I bonded with many special lullabies songs and as Gc was growing, we went from Jose Luis Orozco and Raffi to popular Taylor Swift, Kelly Perry, John Legend, etc.




Although I never got music training as a child, I am passionate about songs. The lyrics speak to my soul, and I believe in the power of music.  I just cannot imagine a world without music!! 

I am aware that I was not born with the amazing musical talent of Celine Dion, Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey or Shakira but no one could take from me the love for singing, singing, and singing. 

During my college years every opportunity I had to do Karaoke I took it and believe me, it takes strength to sing when you know you are out of tune, not reaching the notes, or insecure about not having had formal singing training. Regardless, I sang my heart out during Karaoke nights in Ensenada and lately, I have been thinking how much I miss singing like I used to do in Mexico. 

I feel that if you do not take your rhythms, your music with you to whatever you go, slowly your soul starts dying. Specially, if you live in neighborhoods or cities where no one seems to listen to the radio anymore.
 It is hard to believe but in my neighborhood, I have never heard a radio or anyone singing other than Manuel or Me and there are more than 400 people here! 

In a busy country like the USA, music can be lost if you don’t keep singing. 
 At times, it feels as if singing can distract you from working or can make you too joyful so music seems to be forbidden from daily activities.

Lately, I have noticed teens lost on computer, video games and cell phones. I do not see many teens singing like I used to do in Mexico; out loud, in the car, at all times, etc. That really worries me!! A world without interest in music, is a world without expression of emotions, feelings, and ultimately a world without joy.

It almost seems that we are the odd, weird family that dares to turn on the radio on any given day of the week and sing, sing out loud. 
If we turn it off, a silence cold like death invades the environment, you can feel it all over the neighborhood. That is really crazy considering that we are alive! 

I just cannot comprehend why neighbors will not sing their lungs out. I do not think there is such a thing like “not all of us are into music”. No, if music is the food of our soul, we all should be feeding our soul by singing . We all have a heart song.

We love gathering around the keyboard to sing with Manuel from classical Disney songs to our traditional Christmas songs. 

Our love affair with music will continue now with Giancarlo playing his favorite songs by ear, and we can only wish that all kids in school are given more opportunities for music appreciation. 

Besides the language development and other benefits associated to music. It has been my experience as a music lover that music  has helped us become more sensitivity, develop empathy for the abundant world of cultures, and  has guide us in a path to peace. 

In educating our children we must not take from them their innate love for composing music, from performing, from feeling in touch with lyrics that promote change, justice, love and peace. Music really communicates that which cannot be put in words, and all that cannot remain silence. It is truly the food of our soul and if we do not feed it, what kind of soul we will have?


                                                      ©KarlaGMundo2018
                           

No comments:

Post a Comment